3.30.2007

How to Create a Sitemap using Google

Hi! Welcome back to my blog. Today my articles is focusing on using a sitemap with Google. If you do not have a google account, then I suggest you get one. There are 2 things to keep in mind before you create a sitemap. 1. What is a sitemap? 2. What purpose does a sitemap serve?

What is a sitemap?
A sitemap of a website is similar to the table of contents of a book. Sitemaps are important because it guides web surfers to the particular part of the website they have point of interest in and also where search engines look at if somebody is looking for a particular keyword or phrase. If you have a sitemap, you can most likely be search.

What purpose does a site map serve?
A sitemap is like any other map that gives direction to a navigator. It primarily targets search engine spiders so that they are properly directed to your site and to the links where keywords entered in the search dialogue appears. It is also a useful tool in SEO.(search engine optimization)

To create a sitemap with Google is very simple. Using the following guide you can verify your blog and sitemap, with Google. This guide is for Beta Blogger.com

1) Open an Account with Google if you have not already don't so. 2) Click on Web Master Tool. 3) Add site by typing URL. 4) Need to Verify your site-click on it. 5) Choose verification method. 6) Select Add a Meta Tag. 7) Highlight codes and copy. 8)If you use beta blogger click on layout. 9) Click on Edit Html. 10) Paste code.

11) Save template. 12) Go back to Google and click verify. 13) Click on my site. 14) click on add a sitemap. 15) Select Add General Web sitemap. 16) type your URL http://yourwebiteaddress.blogspot.com/atom.xml(for beta blogger users only) 17) click on Add Web sitemap. 18) You are done.

Well I do not think I missed any step, if I did please let me know. My time is up...stay tune for more.

PS: In my next article we would discuss the benefits of having a sitemap.

No comments: